Sunday 16 October 2011

Silverstone Classic 2011

Classic and Sport Car's James Elliott wondered after this year's Silverstone Classic whether others had enjoyed the event as much as he had (see 'I loved the Silverstone Classic, but did you?'). As a first time visitor to this three day event I can respond in the affirmative to his question. Arriving after a more or less traffic free journey, driving my father down in his 1969 3 Litre V6 wooden chassis Marcos was a pleasure in itself. Now that I have my own children I enjoy sharing these kinds of events with my Dad even more now than I did when I was younger. Representing his website - www.motorsnaps.com - meant that we were parked up with the VIPs and were ferried to the heart of the event courtesy of a fleet of brand new Jaguars.
In a moment of real nostalgia I came across the half-scale type 35B Bugatti made by Tula Engineering that my father helped to set up in the early 1970s.
Based then in Kimpton in Hertfordshire, I remember trips to the little 'factory' unit where the larger scale Bugattis were restored and where these smaller 'toys' were made. I think that they were powered by a lawn mower engine and from the perspective of a child they felt very quick. They were certainly great fun to drive and I was very lucky to have the opportunity to pilot one from time to time. Here I am sitting proudly behind the wheel of one at Tula Engineering in my school uniform; a 'gentleman' racer if ever I saw one!
I also remember the mini grand prix that were staged at a friend's house, which invariably involved the adults racing these tiny replicas, usually with one leg hanging over the side of the car. Memorably on one occasion a full size Bugatti joined its smaller siblings around the circuit, most likely the result of a few too many beers with lunch; somehow unimaginable today!
In the photo on the left, my dad is squeezing into the middle car while Nick Mason (left) looks on... So for me, this year's Silverstone Classic managed to take me back to my childhood in a quite unexpected fashion but given that my passion for cars began at an early age it seems entirely appropriate that it should have done...

No comments:

Post a Comment